Posted by IKO Community Management on May 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Memorial Day is here! The unofficial beginning of summer has finally arrived and that means your community swimming pool will be opening.
IKO Community Management would like to share ideas on celebrating Memorial Day at your community pool and making sure your pool bag is packed with all the necessary items for the sun and fun.
Memorial Day is a national holiday set aside to remember all those who have died serving our great country. Since this is a patriotic weekend and the opening day for pools, why not plan a celebration in honor and start by decorating with red, white, and blue.
Swimming pools bring neighbors, families, and friends together after a long winter. Planning a party at your community pool to celebrate and summer can be easy and fun with a little bit of organization. Keep it simple so that no one is stressing. Here is a list of really all you need:
- Time and Date – Set a time and date for the gathering. 2-3 hours is a good span to hold the party.
- Decorations – Red, White, and Blue! Balloons, flags, banners, to name a few.
- Music – Have someone bring a great summer play list. No need to hire a band with all the modern technology.
- Games – Fun for kids and adults, games bring people together. How about a little Marco-Polo, Coin Diving Treasure Hunt, Beach Ball Relays, or Sharks and Minnows. Raft or Noodle races are great team fun and will have the crowd cheering on. If you want, have some fun prizes for the winners like water toys or something pool related.
- Food – Supply Hot Dogs and Hamburgers on the grill. Have everyone bring their own drinks and a dish to share. Have a red, white, and blue theme for food. See what your neighbors come up with!
Get your pool bag out and pack with the necessary items for you and your family. Fun in the sun at the pool means having sunscreen, towels, hats and other pool items on hand. Here is a quick list of things you may want to pack to have a safe and relaxing time around the pool.
- Swim diapers
- Sunglasses and/or hats
- Life Jackets or other type of floaties for those that don’t know how to swim well
- Pool toys that are allowed by your pool according to the rules
- Umbrella for shade if allowed by your pool
- Any important medicines such as for bee stings
- Beach chairs (in case your pool does not have enough to go around)
- Flip-flops/water shoes
- Clean underwear/diapers
- Plastic bags for wet items
- Combs, brushes, and hair detangler
- Padlock if your pool has lockers
- Water for everyone or some type of drinks, stay hydrated!
- Change/cash for vending machines/snack bars (or pack your own healthy snacks)
The opening weekend for your community pool is a great time to go over rules and regulations with family members especially when the crowds will be larger than normal. Safety is always most important. Pool parties are great fun, but it is important that the pool rules are maintained.
No Running – Running is dangerous around the edge of any pool where the wet surface makes it easy to slip. The hard concrete edge can cause major injury.
No Jumping on Others – If your pool game involves jumping into the water, please make sure you look before you jump. Other swimmers can be seriously hurt if jumped on especially if they are unaware of a jumper.
No Horseplay – Especially near the edge of the pool. Pushing and shoving others around a pool can easily cause injuries to occur.
Adult Supervision at ALL TIMES – It only takes a few seconds for something to go wrong. Even with lifeguards present, it is extremely important to keep a close eye on your children especially when the pool is crowded and while party games are going on. No exceptions.
Are you ready to get wet and have some fun to start the summer season? Holding a swimming pool party to open the summer season gives you much space for imagination and creativity. Let the memories about your holiday be unforgettable.
IKO Community Management wishes everyone a safe and fun Memorial Day Weekend!