Have you ever met someone who radiated positivity? It seems like every time you’re around them, they’re smiling or laughing. Their happiness is contagious, and you might even be a little envious of it. However, achieving that level of superior happiness is easily done with a few small changes to your daily habits. Here is IKO Community Management’s list of the habits of insanely happy people:
- Don’t ever feel rushed. It’s good to live a productive life because it keeps you occupied, but it’s not a good idea to feel rushed. Whether it’s at work, in your relationship or with family, if you have too much on your plate, don’t be afraid to say no to adding to it.
- Have close, worthwhile relationships. People say, “It’s better to have 4 quarters than 100 pennies,” and those people are absolutely right. When you have quality relationships (and rid yourself of the empty ones), you’ll be a happier person.
- This doesn’t mean buying a gym membership or getting up for a 5:30 a.m. run every morning, but a little bit of activity each day will make you feel better. If you keep up this good habit, you might even start experiencing “exercise high,” the release of endorphins during physical activity.
- Spend money on experiences, not things. The newness of things like clothes and technology wears off as it evolves over time, but an experience is something more personal that won’t ever go out of style.
- Don’t be afraid to follow your dreams. This sounds cliché, but it’s so true. If you want to write a book, start pounding on that keyboard. If you want to travel the world, get your passport and start saving. Realizing a dream or fulfilling a personal promise brings happiness like no other. On that note…
- Create goals. Having hopes and aspirations for achievement gives people a focus and direction in life. Whether it’s a short-term or a long-term goal, insanely happy people are constantly assessing their rate of success so they can continue getting better.
- Treat people with kindness – even the ones that did you wrong. Being a Good Samaritan will leave you with a few feel-good tingles, and letting go of grudges releases serotonin, a neurotransmitter than makes you a happier person.
- Use your words wisely. There are 3 cardinal “happy people” rules of speaking:
- Avoid making excuses. Instead of blaming others or circumstance for a shortcoming in your life, take responsibility.
- Speak kindly of others. It’s tempting to join in the gossip, but talking negatively about others doesn’t make you a better (or happier) person.
- Be honest and positive. Feel free to offer advice on improvement instead of critiquing, but always be honest.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. If you’re about to get upset over a situation, ask yourself if it’ll matter in a week. A month? A year? Insanely happy people let life’s daily irritations roll off their back, which also makes embracing change easier.
- It’s impossible to be happy without smiling. Science says so.
You shouldn’t be envious of that super happy person you know because if you follow at least a few of these good habits, you’ll be that happy person. Foster quality and kind relationships, save your money for experiences, create goals to follow your dreams, and laugh a lot. Before you know it, you’ll be the happiest person you know.
From all of us at IKO Community Management, good luck!